Parents & Families

The staff of UConn Student Health and Wellness works in partnership with your student to ensure access to a continuum of medical, mental health and wellness services that may be needed during their UConn career. We recognize that this is perhaps the first time your student will be in charge of managing their own healthcare. We play a role in supporting your student’s academic success during their time here at the University and hope to ultimately help them become responsible healthcare consumers when it’s time for them to venture out into the “real world”. We hope you find some of the following information helpful:

Health-Related Requirements (Immunizations & Health Insurance)

  • What are the immunizations required for my student to attend UConn?
    State of Connecticut General Statutes as well as University of Connecticut regulations require each full-time or matriculating student born after December 31, 1956, to provide proof of adequate immunization or screening against measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, meningitis and tuberculosis before permitting such student to enroll at the university. Go to Immunization Requirements to learn more. And go to the CDC Vaccines webpage to learn more about recommended immunizations for college students and young adults.
  • Should my student stay enrolled in the UConn Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?
    Having health insurance is a mandatory requirement for all students. All full-time anticipated students are automatically enrolled in UConn SHIP and the fee is assessed as a line item on your student’s fee bill. If your student intends to stay enrolled in the SHIP, there is nothing different you need to do – their coverage begins on August 15 and continues until the following August 14. Visit the Insurance Info section of our site to learn more about the plan. This is a conversation that should occur at least every year since a waiver must be submitted annually.

Access to Health Services

  • How can my student access health services while on campus?
    All students registered at the Storrs campus have access to services at Student Health and Wellness. Your student’s Husky OneCard confirms their eligibility for services. Please encourage your student to keep their medical and pharmacy insurance cards with them at all times as they must provide their coverage information at each visit.

Privacy and Confidentiality

  • Who will have access to my student’s health-related information?
    We protect and maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all students – this means not sharing whether or not a student has visited Student Health and Wellness and/or the details of any visit(s) they may had with us without their permission. Federal and state law provides safeguards for ensuring that your student’s health information is adequately protected. This being said, it’s not uncommon for students to call a parent of family member mid-visit; we’re happy to discuss your student’s situation with you so long as your student has authorized the discussion – your student will need to fill out an “Authorization to Release Information” to grant us permission to release any of their medical information to a third party. Learn more about Privacy Practices on the Confidentiality page and Patient Rights & Responsibilities page.


  • How are charges billed when my student obtains services at Student Health and Wellness?
    All registered Storrs campus students have access to our services, regardless of insurance coverage – this means that students who use our services may have SHIP insurance only, private insurance only, or have dual insurance coverage (SHIP and another private insurance.” We use a fee-for-service billing model, similar to your private physician’s office. There are charges for office visits, laboratory services, x-rays, pharmacy items, as well as specialty clinics, such as orthopedics. Basic first aid, consultations with the triage nurse, telephone advice nurse, health education services, nutrition and physical activity counseling are provided at no charge.

Any charges deemed the student’s responsibility can be paid via cash, check, credit/debit card or Husky Bucks at the ‘Check In’ window or opted to be put on the university fee bill. We can also process HSA/FSA debit cards.

Please see Billing FAQ and the Life Cycle of a Claim.

Additional Information

  • What should I send to college with my student?
    We understand how difficult it is to be away from your student when they leave for college. Some students feel a little lost without someone to give advice when they don’t feel well. There are some things you can do to help. Teach your student how to communicate how long they have been ill, what symptoms they have, if they have a fever, if they are vomiting, short of breath, or having other significant symptoms. This will help your student get the care they need quickly.

We suggest that your student brings a self-care/first-aid kit that contains:

  • A list of medications being taken on a regular basis and the conditions the medications are treating
  • A list of known or suspected allergies to medications, food, and environmental allergies
  • A copy of any health insurance cards for plans that cover them
  • A thermometer
  • Band-Aids (various sizes)
  • 4×4 gauze pads
  • polyester “silk” adhesive tape (Durapore)
  • First Aid ointment, such as bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment
  • Hydrogen peroxide
  • Ibuprofen (Motrin) or Naproxen (Aleve) and Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  • An over the counter allergy product that contains an antihistamine
  • An over the counter cold product that contains a decongestant
  • An anti-diarrheal medication such as Loperamide (Imodium)
  • An over the counter cough suppressant
  • Saline nasal mist
  • Throat lozenges
  • Cough drops
  • Chewable antacid tablets (Tums)
  • An ace wrap
  • An instant ice pack
  • A microwaveable hot pack
  • Tweezers
  • Sunscreen
  • Insect repellent